Summer is the best time to take a breath and upgrade some professionnal or personnal skills. This list will let you find some food for thoughts, but also some cute little hacks to experiment with gadgets.
1. DIY $10 Macro Photo Studio
Not a professional photographer? This DIY macro photo studio will be enough for most of your close-up pictures… for $10!
2. 12 ways to use your camera as a tool
Because your camera is not only here to take pictures of your cute cat.
3. How To Use Vintage Lenses with Your DSLR
Get good camera lenses for less money, you know you want to.
4. Setting up your own studio at home
Good tips on lightening and set up.
5. DIY Remote shutter trigger for Digital Cameras
Pretty cool stuff, will try it soon.
6. Build a USB Digital Microscope in 60min and 15$
Could do some great graphics with such a gadget.
7. 5 ways to spend less time at work
If you’re in design, chances are that you love/like your job. It’s still a good idea to try not spending all your time at the office.
8. Illuminate your clutter hiding spaces
Simple tip but pretty cool, giving the clutter more exposure will for sure make it unbearable.
9. 6 simple steps to conquer procrastination
Procrastination is the freelancer’s worst ennemy, learn how to fight that bastard.
10. Design Your Space to Achieve Your Goals
Your working (and living) environment have an impact on how you work, learn how to make it better.
11. 15 Tips for Writing Effective Email
Stop waisting time on ineffective emails and learn.
12. Your Guide to Apps that Eliminate Distractions
Yay for apps that help you to concentrate!
13. How to make a Moleskine PDA
Turn your Moleskine notebook into a power-productivity tool.
Money / Finances
14. Productive Finances checklist
Don’t read this one if you have too much money or handle your finances the perfect way. I was a helpful read to me.
15. 16 Easy Ways To Slash Unnecessary Spending
I don’t think I could do all of these, but definitly some good advice there.
16. Receipts, which to keep and which to pitch
Don’t know how to handle your receipts? Read this article to become a receipt-handling expert.
17. 5 Incredibly Boring Ways to Better Your Finances in 2009
Mostly common-sense advice, still not doing it properly though…
18. 8 Important Money Saving Tips For Web Workers
Very good article, you shouldn’t wait too long before you apply the tips.
Lifestyle / Health
19. 10 tips & tricks for better coffee
As a designer, or as a freelancer in general, coffee is probably your main source for energy. These tips will help you to make better coffee.
20. The 5 Simplest Healthy Habits You Will Ever Learn
I’ll do that, but I’ll NEVER give up butter for margarine! No way!
21. 11 Reasons Why You Absolutely Need More Sleep
Loving this article for giving me excuses to sleep more.
22. Exercising the Creative Mind
Because you need to move your body too…
23. 8 ways reading makes you better at life
As a book-lover, I have to agree with this article.
24. Pain & Posture, the basics
Learn how to stop hurting your back at work.
25. How to make a sock monster
Need to get some entertainement too, right?
Photo by Steven and Sarah