The security of your website is something you wouldn’t want to compromise. While website hacking is not something you wish for, it happens when least expected. WordPress is one of the best yet most hacked CMS platforms. This means, no website is ultimately safe, and you need to take proactive measures such as employing the use of MySQL backup to protect your most valued information.
Often, you may find yourself contemplating different security measures for your website. Can I run my WordPress website without any security plugins? This can be a question that lingers in your mind, when you need a proactive step to enhance the security of your website. The answer to this question is a yes and a no.
You need a security plugin if
Yes, you can run your WordPress website without any security plugin, if you are familiar with all aspects of your .htaccess and server administration. This is because they allow you to build your own customized themes. This means you will only use plugins that are well supported by your system.
A point to note is that security plugins play a significant role in automating technical aspects of your website. They use a highly interactive interface to automate your website. Therefore, when you fine tune your .htaccess and write secure code, you are basically implementing what security plugins do in a website. However, when running a website without a security plugin, you need to;
- Have strong password because your username and passwords are usually your first line of security or defense.
- Have a password manager.
- Design a two-factor authentication process.
- Install an SSL connection certificate on your website. It helps to encrypt user’s connections. It also helps to prevent the chances of a by-passer changing your settings.
- Protect your home network and computers.
- Avoid trusting free public Wi-Fi?
You will also need security for;
- Log in page hardening, where WordPress security plugins such as Word-fence security is highly recommended. It comes with a ton of features that enhances the security features login pages.
- For your database security in a WordPress website.
- Firewall functionality because WordPress doesn’t usually embrace a firewall feature out of the box.
- It is also essential to note that plugins make it extremely easy to implement a blocking feature on your site. Therefore, to implement a strong firewall, you will need a WordPress Security plugin.
No, you cannot run a WordPress website without security plugin if
It is recommended that you use a security plugin when running your WordPress website, if you are not well versed with .htaccess, coding and server administration. This is because security plugins can be bypassed posing a threat to your server. When an attacker bypasses your system, your database is compromised and malicious code is often inserted to your files.
An attacker can even alter the function of your security plugins. Other attackers turn off important features that are designed to notify you of important changes in your website.
Scan for malware
It is also important to have a security plugin to help you scan for malware as you run your website. You may realize suspicious text on your computer or suspicious site changes you may not have made. These are usually signs of malware or malicious software that has been installed on your site. Therefore, with WordPress plugins, you are assured of enhanced security since they come with inbuilt malware and advanced security features that operate in the same way as your anti-virus software.
The scans are also designed to look through your WordPress website to find and get rid of any malicious code. The tool scans on a regular basis to ensure you enjoy the best protection.
With the security plugins, you also need to
- Only download plugins and themes from trusted sources, and if possible avoid free plugins. If it is a must that you use free plugins and themes, use themes from WordPress Theme and plugins from Plugin Repository.
- Always back up your website because they are your best defense against any possible attack on the site. There are many different backup options to use including MYSQL
backup,and other offsite locations that you can opt for. Remember, the more you update your website, the more you will need to back it up.
- You also need to use a secure and trusted hosting environment to secure your WordPress website from your end.
With these tips in mind, you can always determine whether to use a security plugin or not when running your website. However, to give your website the best protection, it is always good to use a WordPress Security plugin.